Creating your own Sir Reginald Hargreeves Costume from the hit Umbrella Academy show will be pretty simple and a great option for a group cosplay!
The picture of a fanciful gentleman, Sir Reginald is the tight fisted father figure to the Umbrella Academy kids. As the story explains, he adopts seven of 43 children miraculously born to women who all became spontaneously pregnant across the globe on the same day in 1989. Each of the children has abilities that he cultivated and, rather mercilessly, teaches them to grow and control. Unbeknownst to the rag tag group, his actions set them on a mission to save the world, no matter the cost. His only true and trusted allies are a bipedal speaking ape named Pogo and an animatronic nanny and surrogate mother to the children named Grace. Both of these characters keep his secrets and help raise the children of the academy to fulfill their destiny.
Sir Reginald Hargreeves Costume Parts:
- Sir Reginald is the picture of a turn of the century posh gentlemen. His outfit is comprised of:
- a black top hat
- iconic monocle
- full and manicured moustache, which is curled meticulously at the ends
- Striped suit (multiple colors)
- White shirt with collar
- Black tie
- Black leather-look gloves
- Signature umbrella
- Optional journal
Sir Reginald Hargreeves Costume, Other Character Facts:
- Alias: Also known as “The Monocle.”
- Spoilerific extras: Sir Reginald has a prophetic sense of the end of times because he has witnessed an apocalypse scenario on his home world…making him an alien. He arrives in our world roughly 100 years before the story takes place and sets up a quite lucrative empire manufacturing and selling umbrellas. He knows that the end of the world will occur sometime after the academy kids grow up and head their separate ways, so he decides to draw them together the only way he knows will work with absolute certainty, by killing himself a few days before time runs out.
- Fun fact: Sir Reginald numbers the kids in order of power from least to greatest, contrary to the order of respect the characters give number one in the show. The order is: One, Luther; Two, Diego; Three, Allison; Four, Klaus; Five, The Boy; Six, Ben; and Seven, Vanya.
- Portrayed by: Colm Feore
The Umbrella Academy Background:
The Umbrella Academy has amassed massive popularity with the debut of the 2019 Netflix series, inspired by the comic series written by My Chemical Romances’ Gerard Way and illustrated by Gabriel Bá. Currently, the series is comprised of 3 volumes, titled Apocalypse Suite, Dallas and Hotel Oblivion. Initial comic release spanned from 2006 to as recently as this year. A hit Netflix adaptation premiered in February 2009 and its massive popularity is showing no sign of slowing down.
Like this article? Check out our other Umbrella Academy Costume Guide here!