When preparing to complete the makeup required for a successful Harley Quinn Cosplay you will need to decide which version of the character you want to focus on. This guide will walk you step by step through some of Harley’s more popular appearances.
Animated Harley Quinn Makeup: Step by Step
For the animated version of Harley Quinn you will need: thick white base face paint, application sponges, black face paint, color stay red lipstick or red face paint.
1. It will be easiest to start with a base layer of white makeup around the forehead, sides of the face and chin. To complete the animated look you will need to use a sponge or other application aid to get a thick layer of white makeup to cover the face completely.
2. Next comes the black face mask. You can feasibly purchase a black eye mask and wear it under the head part of the costume, but it will be much more authentic and mobile if you paint the black part directly on the skin. Keep in mind that when you are painting on the black parts you must leave the eyelids open to paint them white, or use a heavy white eye shadow. To begin with we recommend purchasing either a cheap black eyeliner pencil or a black face paint pencil. This will be useful when drawing the mask on your face and trying to achieve symmetry with both sides. Another option is to purchase a plain (and cheap) white face mask at a craft shop and draw the outline of the mask on your face with the black pencil to fill in with the thicker black face paint.
3. Last is the easiest part. To paint on red lips that will really pop with the white face paint you will need to purchase whether a color stay brans of lipstick or straight face paint. In any case, I can personally attest that your lips become very dry when applying straight face paint, so I would recommend experimenting with different hotrod red lipstick brands (plus you can use them for other events later).
Arkham City Harley Quinn Makeup: Step by Step
Arkham Harley will be much easier in the makeup category.
1. Applying the base white layer of the Arkham Harley will be much easier than the animated Harley. You will want to use a wide thin sponge to apply white layer to the entire face, easing up on the eyes and lips because they will be covered with additional colors. Concentrate your focus on the areas where you will be perspiring and touching the most.
2. Next comes the black eye makeup, similar to the steps for Animated Harley Quinn. You will want to apply black to the eyelid and directly under the eye first. Before the face paint dries (if using liquid) pull down small amounts with the Application Pencils to mimic the pattern seen on the image. Note that the smudges look is only on the bottom of the eyes, but using the application pencils can help with the faded look over the eyes as well.
3. The last step is very easy, but note the dark tint of the lipstick color. This can be achieved one of two ways. Either using a dark red lipstick color or using a combination of red and a darker top shade, which will look more authentic. We would recommend either purchasing the dark red lipstick below or using a deeper red color and a touch of black eye shadow on top.